Saturday, February 16, 2013

USF's Dean Eisenberg Is My Homeboy

I had the pleasure of visiting my alma mater and dining with USF's College of Arts and Sciences' (CAS) esteemed Dean, Dr. Eric Eisenberg

When I was an Undergraduate at USF in the Communication Department, Dr. Eisenberg was the  Faculty Department Head. He and I became acquainted when I was the Communication Council President and he asked me to be the first Undergraduate to serve on the Communication Faculty's Advisory Board. Upon my graduation, Dr. E (as I call him) wrote me a letter of recommendation that I treasure to this day. We've kept in touch over the years via Facebook although I just learned he became Dean when I won a Dean Eisenberg is my Homeboy poster designed by CAS' talented group of  marketing interns lead by Comm and Marketing Director, Michele Dye.

I felt very disconnected from my beloved alma matter when I discovered Dr. E has been Dean E for 5 years; I had no idea! I couldn't even remember the last time I visited the campus.  So I messaged the Dean to see how to become more involved with USF and give back to a school that gave me so much. Dean E responded, "There are so many cool things you could be involved in. Want to meet for lunch to brainstorm?" I enthusiastically replied with a huge YES!!


When I arrived at USF yesterday, I was so pleased and inspired to see campus life so vibrant and full of life. Maybe it's due to the fact that Freshmen are now required to live on campus their first year. Maybe it's the beautiful new buildings, awesome Football and Basketball teams, and that Greek Housing is now on campus. Or maybe it's that students have a plethora of yummy dining options and not just a Subway and Chinese Food Cart outside of Cooper Hall! Whatever the reason is, it's a far different vibe then the former "commuter" school I attended! 

Before lunch, Dean Eisenberg gave me a tour of USF's vast developments since my 2004 graduation and I felt an overwhelming sense of happiness for the current students. Two words that describe my reaction when viewing the new Marshall Center and Interdisciplinary Sciences building: jaw dropping

After a tour of the new Marshall Center, Dean Eisenberg and I dined at the Top of the Palms Restaurant  which overlooks the new Amphitheatre and Interdisciplinary Science Building. Talking with Dean E  is always such a treat. We spoke of how high the standards are to become a Bull and how much the College is growing. He was so proud when he spoke of the Interdisciplinary Sciences Building that was one of his major projects since becoming Dean and by viewing the photos of it below you will see why! It's breathtaking. 

I have never been prouder to be a USF Bull and I look forward to contributing in any way I can to the success of the College.  Its students will become our country's future innovators.  

Go BULLS! 

CAS' Communication + Marketing Interns, Carrie Murawski and Marc Seide, with Dean Eisenberg is my Homeboy Poster


Dean Eisenberg in the New Marshall Student Center by Amy Martz

USF's Marshall Student Center by Amy Martz

Dean Eisenberg's Interdisciplinary Sciences Building by Amy Martz

Looking down on the Interdisciplinary Sciences Building lobby by Amy Martz

Dean Eisenberg in the Lobby of his Interdisciplinary Sciences Building by Amy Martz


Photos by Amy Martz
(813) 382-2976
www.AmyMartz.com

No comments:

Post a Comment